[sldev] Puppettering Branch

evolutie evolutie at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 13:56:48 PDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 7:35 PM, Jake Simpson <jake at lindenlab.com> wrote:
> evolutie wrote:
>>
>> I finally got around to test with multiple clients logged on to aditi
>> puppeteering, and unfortunetely the simulation doesn't seem to work.
>> Seems like instead of simulating the movement of the joints, the
>> direction in which the avatar looks is simulated.
>> To illustrate:
>> http://www.evolutie.org/movies/puppet1.mov shows me moving my hand
>> http://www.evolutie.org/movies/puppet2.mov shows what this looks like
>> to another client
>>
>> evo
>> .
>>

>>>  It's based off 1.19.1 by the way, and we do actually have a region on
>>> aditi
>>> that is running the simulator code (note, again, this code is relatively
>>> incomplete and the simulator could well crash) named Puppeteering (You
>>> may
>>> well need to log directly into it by they way).
>>>

> I'll be honest and say I'm not the least bit surprised. The reason LL let
> this code branch go was because of issues like this and the fact that
> mouse-generated real time animation manipulation (which is mostly a client
> side thing) just wasn't as compelling as had been thought.

hmmmm. I realize the code is unsupported.. and therefor i'm not that
surprised either.
But it looks more like either the wrong simulation code is being
executed on the serverside of things or the puppeteering client is
sending or receiving (or interpreting) wrong data.. Somewhere in the
communication someone isn't aware of the avatar being a "physical
avatar".
I think that the current UI being mousebased is useful, but yes, I
would love to have other input for it like script functions and
physical interfaces like mocap suits etc.
But the ability for realtime animation of avatars is a wonderful
exciting thing!!! It offers a lot of possibilities that right now are
just not possible in SL, and well.. really.. it's totally compelling
:-)
With things on the clientside already working really well, I don't see
too much trouble technically to make it work 'globally'. An array of
joint positions/rotations isn't that heavy... Am I overlooking
something?
Apologies for putting these issues on unsupported features up.. I
would just love to see this going to the next level, but can't do
anything when it comes to the serverside of things..  And maybe this
is just a matter of the wrong code running on the puppeteering SIM ?

thnx and regards,
Evo