[sldev] iphone 3D client possible?

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Tue Jun 10 03:08:01 PDT 2008

SignpostMarv Martin wrote:

> Lawson English wrote:
>> Maybe the old iPhone couldn't do it, but the new one?  I'm pretty
>> sure some reasonably robust subset of the current SL 3D graphcis will
>> run at acceptable framerates.
>
> Is having the exact same experience necessary at "acceptable"
> framerates even necessary ?
>
> Why not go a different route with an iPhone client, and just have a
> cut-down IM client that has a 3D background ?
>
> Taking a cue from SLeek's interface, only give iPhone users the option
> to "move avatar to landing point" "touch objects with touch_events or
> left-click configs" and "sit on object with sit target or left-click
> config for sitting".
>
> At least initially, trying to do *everything* you do in SL on a
> desktop/laptop computer on a portable device would just seem
> rather..... stupid ?
> While it's conceivable you could build something via an iPhone
> (multi-touch rescale & rotate anyone ? ), I'd imagine that
> content-creators are likely to prefer desktop/laptop computing
> environments, and that portable devices such as the iPhone would be
> best suited to the content-consumer crowd.
>
> Since the frame rate on the iPhone may be low till the view can be
> optimised, rather than try to mirror the experience on a portable
> device, why not just give the option to (focus on object/avatar) with
> basic pan/rotate/zoom controls ? Exploring an environment in the
> traditional way (e.g. walking/flying around) may be too cumbersome to
> do on a portable device (either due to confined interface space or
> low-framerates), so why not have portable device viewers focus on how
> people explore when under heavy lag- move the camera, not the avatar ?

Its a thought, and I don't know how the iPhone 2 will perform, but
looking at the console games demos, I wouldn't be surprised if a
properly designed SL client couldn't be usable even in 3D. Certainly,
the [eventual] Python test harness library  could be adapted for use on
the iPhone and give  Sleek-like capabilities. Would need to be rewritten
in ObjC of course.

Lawson