[sldev] iphone 3D client possible?

SignpostMarv Martin me at signpostmarv.name
Tue Jun 10 02:55:15 PDT 2008

Lawson English wrote:
> Maybe the old iPhone couldn't do it, but the new one?  I'm pretty sure
> some reasonably robust subset of the current SL 3D graphcis will run
> at acceptable framerates.

Is having the exact same experience necessary at "acceptable" framerates
even necessary ?

Why not go a different route with an iPhone client, and just have a
cut-down IM client that has a 3D background ?

Taking a cue from SLeek's interface, only give iPhone users the option
to "move avatar to landing point" "touch objects with touch_events or
left-click configs" and "sit on object with sit target or left-click
config for sitting".

At least initially, trying to do *everything* you do in SL on a
desktop/laptop computer on a portable device would just seem rather.....
stupid ?
While it's conceivable you could build something via an iPhone
(multi-touch rescale & rotate anyone ? ), I'd imagine that
content-creators are likely to prefer desktop/laptop computing
environments, and that portable devices such as the iPhone would be best
suited to the content-consumer crowd.

Since the frame rate on the iPhone may be low till the view can be
optimised, rather than try to mirror the experience on a portable
device, why not just give the option to (focus on object/avatar) with
basic pan/rotate/zoom controls ? Exploring an environment in the
traditional way (e.g. walking/flying around) may be too cumbersome to do
on a portable device (either due to confined interface space or
low-framerates), so why not have portable device viewers focus on how
people explore when under heavy lag- move the camera, not the avatar ?

~ Marv.