[sldev] Fun with 010 Editor + some random tought about texture cache

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 04:37:57 PDT 2008

On 2008-06-10, at 05:42, SignpostMarv Martin wrote:
> Clarification: VFS references, or LLSD list of assets UUIDs ?

I don't think VFS should even be in the loop for textures. The
texture cache would be simply <sim>/xx/yy/zz/xxyyzzaabbccddee...
where xxyyzzaabbccddee is a UUID or a unique permutation of a UUID.

> Problem 1) Sim gets renamed. Does the UUID stay the same ?\

Who cares? It's a cache. For a few minutes you'll have preloaded the
wrong textures, *once*, before throwing them away. At worst you'll
be no worse off than you are now. The situations you're describing
are rare, and at worst simply cause some wasted local copies, once,
or you'll throw away some cached data you might want to keep, once.
In all these cases you're

If it turns out that grid matters, then you add an additional level
for the grid. It doesn't matter if it invalidates existing cache when
you add the extra level, it's a cache.