[sldev] Open Grid Identifier Notation draft proposal

JB Kraft kwerks.sl at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 09:12:29 PDT 2008

Excellent notion. Is this discussion to take place here or elsewhere?
Apologies if this is out of place here but...

Has the notion of a prefix or transport been discussed rather then a name
reversal? Is is not clear to me the benefit of the name reversal.

Given the convention of the prefix 'www' indicating the world wide web, and
in the spirit of that naming convention attempting to look forward to other
network notions, has a prefix of 'grid' or 'mv' (metaverse) or something
like that been considered?

'grid.angi.secondlife.com' or 'mv.agni.secondlife.com'

or even more simply the transport mechanism?

'grid://agni.secondlife.com' or 'mv://agni.secondlife.com'

It seems to me that the current push to utilize HTTP for services, the
plethora of software that understands this domain ordering and the ability
to capitalize on existing DNS services would make this much easier then
re-writing those things to accomodate this convention.

Please let me know if this is out of place here and where previous
discussion might be reviewed and future discourse might be taken up.

regards
JB