Hubris, was Re: [sldev] Cache politics: performance vs obfuscation

Felix Duesenburg kfa at gmx.net
Tue Jun 10 07:04:25 PDT 2008

Kent Quirk (Q Linden) wrote:

> On Jun 9, 2008, at 9:08 PM, Gordon Wendt wrote:
>
>> With all due respect if you have linden after your name (Q Linden in
>> this case) then you are going to be assumed to be speaking for LL
>> every time you post anywhere, is it fair? no but that's life on a
>> mailing list that the company you works for runs.
>
> Yes, sure. All I meant (and it was badly phrased, I admit) was that I'm
> not trying to say that what I think is what LL as a whole thinks or will
> do. I'm trying to have a conversation here, and I didn't want my
> evolving thinking to be perceived as any firm indication of what LL will
> necessarily do.  I'm only one of many.

With all due respect as well, I do NOT think that the assumption Gordon
expressed is a fair one, no matter how many would like to beat into the
same kerf. Quite often things would be easier if we stopped assuming or
trying to second-guess our counterparts and just took their words as
they are. If there is a need to clarify, one can always ask back whether
  there's a person speaking or the company.

We should be grateful that Lindens are engaging in discussion here,
participate in developing ideas, and feel free to speak off the top of
their heads just like everybody else. This shows they're not sitting in
an ivory tower like so many others who seemingly can only communicate in
carefully crafted legalese statements, always scared shitless the whole
company could be pinned down for something they casually said.

Cheers,
Felix