[sldev] Cache politics: performance vs obfuscation

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 05:35:35 PDT 2008

On 2008-06-11, at 16:09, Thordain Curtis wrote:
> I do have to agree with Strife that the amount of benefit for such
> a large overhaul might be minimal.  There are clearly more
> important things that LL wants to be working on.  As it is written,
> the cache system works.

I don't agree. The current cache system barely works: it caches on
the order of one percent of the content it needs to for anyone on a
high latency or low bandwidth link, and it has a high enough overhead
that for a low latency high bandwidth link just redownloading can be
faster than the current cache... which is allegedly one reason it's
limited to 1GB.