[sldev] [AWG] [META] {EMERGENCY WILL ROBINSON] Jira for meta-gridpermissions change

Jason Giglio gigstaggart at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 17:23:41 PDT 2008

Kitty wrote:
> Because your definition of the service isn't consistant with how I read it
> which is why I asked. To me it reads like the LL supplied viewer is an
> integral and inseparable part of the service. Since noone is making a

It's kind of pointless to debate this.

The TOS was written at a time when the viewer was not open source.
Instead of actually fixing the TOS to encompass the reality of an open
source client and grid, they kept all of the existing clauses and just
added a little exception, "notwithstanding the foregoing you may... use
an open source viewer and create a viewer as the open source license
allows" (paraphrased).

Because the existing claims of the TOS weren't changed, there's some
major problems like the ones you pointed out.

The bottom line is the TOS is not "by design".  Its more "by laziness".
 Debating "what is meant" is kinda pointless, when no one at Linden Lab
has considered what is meant by it (in this context) in several years.

-Jason