[sldev] [AWG] [META] {EMERGENCY WILL ROBINSON] Jira for meta-gridpermissions change

Kitty sldev at catznip.com
Thu Jun 12 14:03:13 PDT 2008

""Second Life" is the multi-user online service offered by Linden Lab,
including the software provided to you by Linden Lab (collectively, the
"Linden Software") and the online environments that support the service,
including without limitation... (snip) ... the software that is provided by
Linden Lab and installed on the local computer or other device you use to
access the Servers and thereby view or otherwise access the Second Life
environment (the "Viewer")... *snip*... The Servers, Viewer, APIs, Websites
and any other Linden Software collectively constitute the "Service" as used
in this Agreement. "

Because your definition of the service isn't consistant with how I read it
which is why I asked. To me it reads like the LL supplied viewer is an
integral and inseparable part of the service. Since noone is making a
problem of the fact that content is being sent to software that isn't
provided by Linden Lab, I'm obviously missing something obvious. And if it's
not covered by the TOS why is one a problem when the other isn't? Or what
would preclude LL from offering an API that deals with handing out assets
across grids since it would fall within the existing agreement.

As far as interconnected grids go I think it's a ridiculous idea and not
worth all the time that's being put into it, but if it *has* to exist then I
would want access to everything I paid for within reason (obviously sending
assets to untrusted grids simply won't work) just like you're trying to make
sure that your opinion is represented.

If someone is making content to sell then in my opinion they traded their
absolute rights as creator when they extended a license to the use of that
content to someone else for payment and the buyer's rights shouldn't just be
outright ignored. You might have created it, but you also profitted from it
by selling it to others, *both* parties should be considered and not just
one who gets to impose additional limitations long after the sale was
completed (unless you're willing to refund anyone who doesn't agree with the
new acceptable use license you're laying down).

As a specific example: say you created my skin. You should expect that there
will be mechanisms in place that prevent it from being distributed or
resold, but at the same time that shouldn't come at the expense of me
actually getting to use the skin I paid you for. An acceptable compromise to
me is "creation and trusted grids" (with the assumption that trusted grids
treat permissions the same way LL does).

Maybe you just want to take money from consumers and give nothing in return,
but not everyone will see it that way and it doesn't have anything to do
with what you're implying.

The Service is the Secondlife grid, asset servers, support system, etc. The
viewer(s) only render within that service.

Why are you having such a hard time with the reality that the TOS
specifically states the content is restricted to use within the Secondlife
Service?
have you already begun taking content out of the Secondlife Service without
a license?