[sldev] Texture Cache: A summary of The Plan as it stands

Strife Onizuka blindwanderer at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 22:32:24 PDT 2008

It's been a while since I've looked at how the cache stores images. In
the days of old it would store them in packet form (which is to say
before you could decode the image in the cache you had to remove the
packet wrapping).

What most people don't realize is that the client supports TGA images.
If you just converted incoming images to TGA you wouldn't have to do
anything fancy to the client to get it to use them. Basically after
the image was finished downloading you would convert it and change the
cache entry type. TGA for those who don't know is commonly used as a
raw image format, it has a header but it is minimal.

Strife