[sldev] Scripting projects priority survey

Argent secret.argent at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 11:53:20 PDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 1:05 PM, Christian Scholz / Tao Takashi (SL) <
tao.takashi at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Sure, but still I see LSL as somewhat broken for serious applications
> and I'd rather see it become replaced by something better sooner than
> later instead of taking time to add new features to it which you might
> need to reimplement later then.

We're not concerned so much about adding new features to LSL, but adding new
features to the runtime... the llFunction() calls that LSL2 and CIL code
alike will be calling regardless of the language it was written in. The
specific calls discussed in the survey and the others that have been
discussed here aren't "LSL Calls", they're "Linden runtime library" calls
that are currently being called from LSL: whether you're writing code in LSL
or C#, you will need to call the same functions to transfer money or accept
HTTP connections.

This is not work that has to be "reimplemented", this is work that will
automatically work for LSL2 and CIL code alike. They're even using the same
compiler right now... look at the tree walker in the LSL compiler: it's got
code to generate CIL, and some residents have already identified bugs in the
CIL implementation by simple examination of the source.