[sldev] [VWR] message dumping

Anna Gulaev annagulaev at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 17:23:42 PST 2008

I'm looking into the resize "snap back" problem and it'd be handy to see the
messages that are sent and received during the failed resize operation.
Here's a hex dump of the messages in/out during that operation...

http://www.vengeancestudio.com/test/vlog00001.txt

I'd like to print meaningful fields instead. Surely someone has already done
this, right? A recent discussion of Wireshark looked promising, but it
looked like more effort to figure out how to use Wireshark than to just put
in some hooks and print some strategic debug messages to a file.

So, I put a hook in LLMessageSystem::sendMessage() which gives me a message
name, a pointer to a buffer and a byte count. Easy, right? Seems the message
pointed to by the buffer is incomplete. For example, the
MultipleObjectUpdate message in my dump is not big enough to contain two
UUIDs, a localID and the actual data.

I've constructed MultipleObjectUpdate messages. I thought I'd be able to
de-construct them, too. Only, I have no clue what this message actually
contains.

Please, has someone already done something like this, or is Wireshark really
the only practical solution?