[sldev] Wind Sound CPU usage.

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Sun Mar 2 23:05:58 PST 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-03 at 00:27 -0500, Jason Giglio wrote:
> Am I reading this right?  The stupid wind noise that everyone turns down
> uses more CPU than almost everything else the client is doing?

Doesn't surprise me. Its synthesized in real time. It's a noise
generator with a resonant filter applied. Implemented in floating point,
which means there's at least one float -> int16 conversion per sample. I
bet that's the primary bottleneck.

I've only profiled with my OpenAL patch which doesn't yet have noise
generation. (still haven't got around to looking at what Robin has done,
have kinda ended up trying to tie up loose ends with OpenJPEG...)