[sldev] Wind Sound CPU usage.

Jason Giglio gigstaggart at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 01:17:53 PST 2008

Robin Cornelius wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 7:11 AM, Jason Giglio <gigstaggart at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Callum Lerwick wrote:
>>  > I've only profiled with my OpenAL patch which doesn't yet have noise
>>  > generation. (still haven't got around to looking at what Robin has done,
>>  > have kinda ended up trying to tie up loose ends with OpenJPEG...)

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-5308

I've written a optimization/cleanup patch for the wind noise generator.
  Got it down from 5.5% to 2.25%.

Callum, I was able to move most of the filter code out of the inner loop
by getting rid of the gain/frequency damping.  I can't tell a difference
with the damping gone, I don't think it was accomplishing much because
it was damping very quickly to the target values.

Robin, you should be able to integrate the changes from this patch into
your OpenAL noise patch pretty easily, since the optimizations were in
places that were common to both.

-Jason