Locale handling (was: [sldev] [VWR] bone without position - on PowerPC)

Alissa Sabre alissa_sabre at yahoo.co.jp
Tue Mar 11 04:31:14 PDT 2008

> > I tested the Linden's Linux binary for 1.19.0 RC2
> > (SecondLife_i686_1_19_0_2_RELEASECANDIDATE.tar.bz2) under de_DE.UTF-8
> > locale.  It worked fine.  I run it on Fedora 8 x86.

> I've just seen some issues on the forum where users on the windlight
> client have had to force LANG="C" in order to start the 1.19.1 RC so
> i've reopened VWR-5056 as i am sure there is *something* not quite right
> here still.

I will test it and report back.

My Linux box has an integrated grahics and is not suitable to run
WindLight.  Fortunately it is not of Intel's but is a NVIDIA Geforce
7025, so I can test issues like this if I'm enough patient.  :-)

Just to make sure, Robin, you wrote "... the windlight client ... to
start the 1.19.1 RC".  That means you tested the out-of-the box Linux
viewer 1.19.1 RC0 (as opposed to your own build) and experienced the
"bone without position" problem under de_DE.UTF-8 locale.  Did I
understand correctly?

> But something with the locale
> handing code is broken somewhere.

Yes.  I totally agree on this point.

The problem is that I can find no good way to handle locale in SL
viewer...

Any idea?

    Alissa Sabre