[sldev] Fwd: [Opensim-dev] Violating the GPL by looking (Re: Voice Module)

Jani Pirkola jpirkola at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 22:54:12 PDT 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Wendt JR. <dcrkid at yahoo.com>
Date: 19.3.2008 5:37
Subject: Re: [Opensim-dev] Violating the GPL by looking (Re: Voice Module)
To: opensim-dev at lists.berlios.de

Google "inevitable disclosure". This is the direction case law is heading
towards, sadly.

Also both the BSD nor the GPL are "truely open licenses", they are both free
software and open source licenses. The only difference is that the GPL makes
it illegal to strip GPL permissions or sublicense the code out. It's
incompatible with BSD but usable in a "Free World" system. Also, if you want
to complain about people taking BSD code into GPL projects, I would like to
point out the large numbers of proprietary projects that take BSD code and
don't give back, period. You get to either say "use my code in any project
with any license" or "use my code with my license attached", not "use my
code in any project with any license so long as that license doesn't forbid
anyone from changing the license".

The reason why we don't look at the client code is simply because of fears
of a possible lawsuit by Linden Labs or any other GPL contributor, again if
you haven't Googled "inevitable disclosure" yet please do so. True it says
nothing about this in the GPL or BSD licenses, but the courts can interpret
them any way they choose. RealXtend is taking the same route with their
modifications of our simulator and Linden's viewer, having separate
developer teams that don't share anything but protocol specifications. And
before someone says "oh why not just use the GPL then" we have practical
reasons to use BSD, including the PhysX plugin which can't be GPL, and I
believe we use some other BSD-licensed libraries like libsecondlife that
we'd like to contribute patches back upstream if we could. So we're at this
curious state where we can't practically do anything client-sided until the
viewer project matures enough to be usable for day-to-day use on the Linden
and OpenSim grids.