[sldev] Fwd: [Opensim-dev] Violating the GPL by looking (Re: Voice Module)

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 11:40:00 PDT 2008

On 2008-03-19, at 12:21, Callum Lerwick wrote:
> Yes you can. The GPL has an explicit clause disallowing further
> restrictions. The BSD license, however, does not. Hence, BSD can be
> "consumed" by GPL code. I think the BSD license still applies to such
> code, though.

Indeed it does. There was a bit of a row recently when it was
discovered that someone had *removed* the BSDL from a driver in
Linux. I'm sure that it was done innocently by some naive programmer,
because it was quite unnecessary: the BSDL is compatible with the
GPL, but that doesn't mean the GPL replaces the BSDL... rather the
code becomes dual-licensed.