[sldev] Patches to xmlrpc-epi

Robin Cornelius robin.cornelius at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 15:09:51 PDT 2008

Callum Lerwick wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-03-21 at 10:57 -0700, Rob Lanphier wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Robin Cornelius has been doing some work on xmlrpc-epi, and asked me on
>> IRC if we had patched the library.  Looking at our internal repository,
>> I discovered that we had, though the patches were integration patches,
>> and not terribly useful in the broad sense.  However, it's still bad
>> form to use a patched library without at least publishing the patches,
>> so I'm mailing them out now.
>>
>> This raises a more general issue of how and where to publish this and
>> other similar patches.  Where should we put 'em?
>
> Ideally you should submit them upstream. Though of course xmlrpc-epi
> upstream seems to be quite dead, and jpeglib seems effectively dead as
> well, despite its near universal usage...

Hi Callum, you probably missed my IRC rant that led to this :-)

I am now part of "upstream" and tonight have committed a bunch of fixes
in to xmlrpc-epi cvs (mostly based on gcc 4.X warnings, but these appear
to be the same as php5 use in there private copy, as gcc was warning me
about potential issues for cross arch compatibility etc), and updated
the autotools scripts.

I am in the process of trying to avoid name clashes so currently the cvs
builds libxmlrpc-epi instead of libxmlrpc and there is other bits and
peices going on.

Also i fixed that stupid "queue" problem, as other non SL builders have
reported it too.

When i am done i will push a new tar ball for everyone to enjoy ;-) NO
api or abi breakage.

> Robin's working on putting together a revived xmlrpc-epi upstream. Any
> changes LL needs should be integrated. The only change I don't really
> understand is the iconv one. What are the consequences of forcing UTF8?
> I have been running without such a patch in my Fedora package, and it
> seems to work. Should this be #ifdef WIN32 or something?

Yea probably, this issue is not linux. its a mac/windows thing. On one
it doesn't work at all the other it works badly or is difficult from
what I gather. It just would be nice to have cross platform support
where possible.

Robin