[sldev] Small Prim Culling

Anna Gulaev annagulaev at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 02:17:31 PDT 2008

Perhaps someone with access to the server code could comment on the
possibility of taking the camera position into consideration when assembling
the interest list. Even if camera position updates would be sent far less
often than agent updates you caould still have a perfectly satisfactory
experience.

I run into this problem fairly often. An example: The boxes that hair
sellers display tend to be too small to pick up when you go camming around a
large store. Sometimes the boxes, once omitted from camera view, don't show
even when you walk up to them. I once had a discussion with a store owner
because I was convinced that sold objects were disappearing from her
shelves, and that's not how hair is typically sold. I was convinced she had
created the objects incorrectly. I sent her a snapshot of me standing before
half-empty shelves and she sent me a snapshot of my avatar standing before
fully-stocked shelves. The solution was to fly far away and come back, and
then I saw the missing objects.

Anna