[sldev] Google Summer of Code 2008 update

Mike Monkowski monkowsk at watson.ibm.com
Fri May 2 08:21:22 PDT 2008

Callum Lerwick wrote:
> Ever seen the surface editors in something like Lightwave or Maya? Guess
> what SL is missing... :) Not to mention they support shader plugins. I
> still think the future lies in supporting user-supplied GLSL shaders...
>
> (This is the cue for the sldev peanut gallery to shout me down and
> explain how I'm an idiot for even suggesting such a thing.)

I don't understand why you would expect to be shouted down.  I don't
remember anyone objecting to plugins before.  I don't know if there's
been any discussion about shader plugins specifically, but shaders are
just code.  You have access to all of the GLSL code for the viewer.  The
only argument you might get is that you say "the future" and I would
suggest it should be "the present."  Why wait?

Mike