[sldev] Google Summer of Code 2008 update

Dave Parks davep at lindenlab.com
Thu May 1 20:36:00 PDT 2008

That's sort of where this rendering architecture is heading.  Long term,
yes, we want some way to let users specify their own materials (with
shader code), but in an uncontrolled environment like Second Life,
that's not a simple task.  Besides the problem of protecting against
malicious/poorly written shader code, you've got issues of scene
complexity, overdraw, limited number of light sources, etc.

In the mean time, you're going to see us push more shaders into the
viewer that are custom fitted and hand written until we know exactly
what context a shader driven material system will live in in our
community, what techniques scale well with user created content, how to
preserve the overall look of a material across a wide variety of
hardware, etc.  When that's done, it will be time to take a good look at
how to enable residents to create their own custom shaders that fit into
that framework.