[sldev] iPhone/iPod Touch as a Second Life I/O device

Matthew Underwood sakkaku at gmail.com
Mon May 5 10:04:02 PDT 2008

> Hello,
>
> Thanks to Apple, I can now write apps for iPhone and iPod Touch devices.
> They have accelerometers, an app can read the orientation in 3D space of the
> device.
>
> I got an idea for an app that I'd love to develop.
>
> Imagine a modified/future Second Life client that (in addition to the usual
> on-screen rendering) streams a first-person 3D view to the iPhone/iPodTouch.
>
> Imagine being able to tilt and move the device to look around, use
> multi-touch fingers to zoom-in and out, use taps to move around. (*)
>
> Imagine being able to do all that without requiring custom hardware or
> headtracking.
>
> Imagine distributing it for free thru Apple's iTunes and AppStore to all
> iPhone and iPod Touch users worldwide.
>
> Anyone wants to help?
>
> I can do the iPhone/iPod touch part, but I don't know where to start with
> the Second Life client parts.
>
> --
> Kitten Lulu

The main problem will be the iPhones rather limited ram (128MB
supposedly), the "official" graphical client consumes 400+MB most of
the time on my system.  It may be possible to use libsl to make a
client, supposedly there is an ObjC# compiler out for the iPhone, but
you likely wont be able to have any graphics.

While it is a wonderful idea I think it isn't really practical due to
the hardware limitations of the iPhone itself.