Contribution agreements (Re: [sldev] What is the point offirstlook and giving feedback to LL)

Richard M Stallman rms at gnu.org
Thu May 8 15:28:37 PDT 2008

    I think this is where I was (perhaps am) confused. As far as I know, the
    commercial license that Electric Sheep has to produce the onrez SL
    viewer for use by CSI-NY allows them to use any GPLed components of the
    LL GPLed viewer that they like. The sticking point, and it just may be
    I'm not reading things well, is that they decided to deliberately
    cripple the functionality of their viewer in order to make it more
    CSI:NY-audience-friendly.

The really bad problem case, as it seems to me, is where Linden Labs
releases code, for non-free software, that has MORE features than the
free version from Linden Labs.

In this case, the non-free version has LESS features.

I don't think of such cases as a reason to refuse to contribute.