[sldev] A patch to allow creation of megaprims from within the viewer

Henri Beauchamp sldev at free.fr
Sun May 11 17:10:18 PDT 2008

Greetings,

On Sun, 11 May 2008 16:37:21 -0400, Able Whitman wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> This is the second small feature I've been working on lately. Apparently at
> some time in the recent past, an LL server update re-enabled the ability to
> create prims with dimensions larger than 10m on a side. There are already
> lots of new megaprims available, mostly for free (like here on SLExchange:
> http://slexchange.com/modules.php?name=Marketplace&file=item&ItemID=685589).
> I'm pretty sure most of these prims have been created using LibSL-derived
> tools.
>
> I don't know if this new-again ability is intentional or not, although I
> certainly hope it is because megaprims are incredibly useful. Either way, I
> wanted to be able to create large prims directly in the viewer. My biggest
> reason for wanting this ability is so that any builds I produce using these
> prims will then list me as the creator, instead of the creator of the prims
> that come from megaprim collections. Being able to create them myself also
> gives me the flexibility to have large prims in whatever size I need,
> regardless of whether someone thought to create one in advance or not.

I myself produced a patch a while ago and recently made it part of the
Cool SL Viewer standard set of patches (see http://sldev.free.fr/).

The Cool SL Viewer is therefore able to edit large prims (I voluntarily
limited the maximum size to 100m, because of grieving concerns), but only
on OpenSim, due to SL's current server side limitations.

Your approach of allowing the creation of arbitrary sized prims is
interesting but it is indeed a hack (and a SL-specific one as it won't
be needed on OpenSim based servers).

As much I would _love_ to see LL allowing the free (like in free speech)
creation and editing of large prims, I consider such a hack as a way to
work around a limitation that LL _wants_ to stay in force for now...

Not sure how LL would react to a viewer which would implement such a hack:
any Linden to tell us LL's law on this ?

Regards,

Henri.