[sldev] A patch to allow creation of megaprims from within the viewer

Felix Duesenburg kfa at gmx.net
Mon May 12 01:09:14 PDT 2008

Great stuff, kudos to both of you!

I'd actually suggest to put it in JIRA anyway, even if you think it's not perfect (yet). Then we can rally the villagers to bring their torches and pitchforks and head over there to vote for it.

The discussion is not new and probably all conceivable arguments have been exchanged already over this issue. But it should be interesting to see if there is any new trend that would reveal if the positive can outweigh the potential hazards in the meantime.

To add my own 2 cents, I think griefing happens with or without big prims. But maybe there should be something in place that prevents innocent mistakes from impacting other people. It happened to me once that I clumsily rezzed a megaprim on a parcel that was too small for it, and it totally swallowed the neighbour's house. Then some network error prevented me from deleting it immediately, I could only clear it on the next day. Lucky there was nobody to complain, but if there had been a bunch of people it would have meant trouble. I can't imagine it being very difficult to implement on the server side that rezzing fails if a prim exceeds the parcel limits, except if both parcels belong to the same owner. Private island owners should be allowed to override it even if they subdivided their land.

Felix