[sldev] Upcoming Releases

Boroondas Gupte sllists at boroon.dasgupta.ch
Thu May 15 16:15:26 PDT 2008

Matthew Underwood schrieb:
> I never got Japanese or other non native characters to display even
> though I have the language packs installed in linux (fonts, etc).

You have to make sure that the unicode.ttf symlink in the SecondLife
directory points to a font file that

    * is actually present on your computer at the given path
    * provides the unicode sections you want to use/display

On gentoo, for example, I had to replace the default link target
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/kochi/kochi-gothic.ttf with
/usr/share/fonts/kochi-substitute/kochi-gothic-subst.ttf (provided by
the media-fonts/kochi-substitute ebuild). You can use ln -sf to change
the symlink's target.
> Is there any chance someone can go over voice in linux again.  I have
> yet to get it working at all.
There were several threads on
http://forums.secondlife.com/forumdisplay.php?f=263 about voice, and
Adamas Carter compiled a text file from his (and maybe others') most
useful instructions there, available at
http://www.adamascarter.com/extras/sl_voice_linux.txt

For me, the combination ALSA+ESD did get it to run without any
configuration changes --  but the exact way to get this working might be
dependent on both, hardware and distribution, it seems.

cheers
Boroondas