[sldev] A patch to allow creation of megaprims from within the viewer

Andrew Meadows andrew at lindenlab.com
Thu May 15 16:32:41 PDT 2008

Turns out we did NOT have a meeting today regarding megaprims.
I misread the meeting date, we're going to talk about it NEXT
Thursday.  However, I've been occasionally talking about megaprims
with other Lindens and below is the current state of my plan.

Note that this is NOT official Linden Policy nor are my opinions
set in concrete.  Beside item (1a) none of this is actively being
worked on, nor in anyone's schedule.  Nevertheless, this would be my
proposal to other Linden's in any meeting about Megaprims:

Megaprim Liberation
-------------------

(1) Add a feature that allows land owners to return any object that
     overlaps their land ("Prim Encroachment")
     (a) normal prims
     (b) sculptie prims
     (c) objects spinning with llTargetOmega()

(2) Make static objects collide across region boundaries
     (a) normal prims
     (b) sculptie prims

(3) Gradually (every few weeks or months) increase the default
     max size (and perhaps linkability limits) of prims up from 10m,
     fixing any problems that show up as we go:
     (a) 16m
     (b) 32m
     (e) 256m

(4) Add a feature that allows Estate/Region owners to set void,
     distant horizon, and cloud layers/textures (to eliminate the
     need for >256m megaprim sky/horizon effects).

(5) Crack down on megaprims >256m

As to dependencies: (3) depends on (1) and (2), and (5) depends on (4).
So it would be possible to work on (1), (2), and (4) at the same time
if we had the developer resources.

The original 10m prim limit, and the linkability limits, were made waaaay
back in the second half of 2000 when we started working on the base code
that became "Second Life".  The limits were arbitrary, and set mostly so
that we didn't have to solve item (2) above, which was punted into the
future and has not yet landed.  We didn't have parcels, estates, or even
collidable avatars at that point.

- Andrew