[sldev] Landmarks and Navigation Project Update 2008-05-22

SignpostMarv Martin me at signpostmarv.name
Fri May 23 17:29:50 PDT 2008

I cannot stress enough how much hardcoding the new interface to
slurl.com would suck:

1) It hard-codes the features to the Agni grid, and may have issues on
beta grids
2) It hard-codes the features to Linden Lab's grid, and will likely
break in OpenSim

Unless there is a UI option (i.e. NOT a debug option) to specify the
service and/or syntax to use (e.g. at least secondlife: URIs vs
slurl.com ), this feature will limit the portability of the viewer
across the wider "metaverse".

~ Marv.

p.s., yes I'm biased on this topic because  I operate a project that
rehashes LL's world.secondlife.com stuff in non-sucky ways- compare
http://svc.sl.net.marvulous.co.uk/place/Hippotropolis/Open+Source+Sandbox
http://world.secondlife.com/place/5e68dcd9-ad4a-2f5e-8ed8-88ad09496e77
and http://slurl.com/secondlife/Hippotropolis/132/124/29/