[sldev] branches/shadow-draft missing llrender.cpp

Dave Parks davep at lindenlab.com
Sun May 25 18:24:56 PDT 2008

So getting the awesome out of that branch is a little obscure:

1) Make sure atmospheric shaders and avatar hardware skinning are enabled.
2) Make sure the debug setting RenderDeferred is set to FALSE
3) Set RenderUseFBO to TRUE
4) Set RenderDeferred to TRUE

It's only been tested on GeForce 8 cards in Windows (Vista and XP), but
I don't see why it shouldn't work in linux.  I'd be amazed if it works
in OSX since it relies on branching in the shader and a large
instruction count limit.  It's also quite unoptimized and VERY experimental.

The notable new features in that branch:
- Per pixel lighting
- All point lights enabled
- The cost of a point light is directly proportional to how many pixels
it takes up on the screen (decorating with lots of small lights is
cheap, lights in the distance are cheap, stacking up lights in one place
is expensive).
- Hard shadows from the sun.

1) OMG U SUK NO NEW FEATURES
2) Why doesn't this run on my <insert card old enough to be in preschool
here>?
3) This gives builders with better hardware an unfair advantage!
4) You broke my face lights!
5) Shadows make it dark inside, so now my build looks different, and
that's bad!

Preemptive response to responses that will henceforth be ignored:
1) I'm ALWAYS working on some new feature, and I'm ALWAYS working on
fixing bugs.
2) This render mode is for GeForce 8 and later.  All my development
effort is going to go towards making this run as well as possible on
those cards.
3) Capitalism: Get Used To It.
4) Face lights have always been broken, this just lets you see the
brokenness. Fixing face lights in this render mode will make them
look/run better in the regular render mode.
5) Come on, really?

Feedback I'm looking for:
- This makes my mid-range to high-end gaming PC
freeze/crash/ignite/explode and all my drivers are up to date.  Here are
my system specs.
- Check out this cool thing I made!  I could make cooler things if...
- This runs great on my system, except for here at this time of day: <slurl>
- Check out this screenshot!
- I hacked (depth of field, SSAO, subsurface scattering, GI) into the
deferred render.  Here's a patch/screenshot!