[sldev] Call for requirements: ISO MPEG-V (mpeg for virtual worlds) Deadline: July 16, 2008

Christian Scholz / Tao Takashi (SL) tao.takashi at googlemail.com
Mon May 26 09:07:54 PDT 2008

Hi!

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 5:50 PM, Argent Stonecutter
<secret.argent at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2008-05-26, at 09:07, Tateru Nino wrote:
>>
>> The way I see it, it doesn't matter actually much *what* it is carrying.
>> Ultimately we're talking about a transport protocol. Now, so long as the
>> transport protocol is (a) bi-directional, and (b) supports connections to
>> arbitrary network endpoints, and (c) is relatively legally unencumbered
>> (requires no particular licensing to use or implement), and (d) relatively
>> technically unencumbered (doesn't hamper or impede things to the point where
>> there is no point in actually using it) -- well, then we'd be gold.
>
> If you need to run the game engine to use the content, and you need to run
> the game server because it's a bidirectional stream, what's the advantage to
> using the MPEG-V protocol rather than the game engine's existing protocol?
> You still won't be able to interoperate with anyone else, and you won't be
> able to record and play back the stream unless the game engine and server
> already has a mechanism to do that. What's the use case that you're trying
> to solve?

To me from what I understood MPEG-V seems similar in it's goals as the
OGP. So in fact it would make sense if these efforts would go
together. The problem is of course that Linden Lab would not be very
willing to redo their complete engine and protocol (probably very
unlikely for any existing virtual world out there) and thus it will
come down to a question of adoption. Now the OGP will face the same
problem but would have adoption already inside a very big trademarked
virtual world. So maybe he MPEG-V  should join an AWGroupies meeting
to explore the possibilities of these activities going together a bit
more. OGP at least works on real life use cases and experiences. The
same might be true for MPEG-V but as I so far know nothing about it I
cannot tell.

-- Tao