[sldev] Sim Size Limits?

Carlo Wood carlo at alinoe.com
Mon Nov 3 10:10:16 PST 2008

On Mon, Nov 03, 2008 at 11:25:00AM -0500, Mike Monkowski wrote:
> Dale Mahalko wrote:
>> The main challenge here is having a big enough network pipe to support
>> getting updates from those 4800 spectators plus the actual events in
>> the center. Assuming just 25 kilobit maximum to update each spectator,
>> that's a potential peak of 120 megabits when everyone stands up
>> together to cheer or wave their pennant, not counting the actual event
>> updates in the center sim.
>
> And don't forget the "minor" problem of actually rendering all of this
> on the client.

Hi, I come from the IRC world (coder and protocol developer); that might
not seem related, but in a way it is.

The only way I could solve very large events is by making join/parts
invisible except of those who speak. On IRC that means: the channel is
moderated so that nobody except users with special privs can speak.
Then a broadcast is done for an event and -say- 5000 users join more or
less simultaneously. Instead of sending 5000 times 5000 messages about
joins, not to mention the chatter flood that would happen, the channel
seems to be empty and no joins are sent. As soon as someone is allowed
to speak and speaks, the server sends a delayed join to all clients
just prior to the actual spoken word.

Perhaps it's an idea for very large events to copy this method to SL.
'Joining' means that you see someone appear as if they just teleported
to their spot. That way you'd still have a large crown that needs to
be updated about events, but only little data to send to them (only
those participating in the event in the center). Each individual spectator
would see him/herself spawn and they can walk around, but nobody else
will see them unless someone with higher priviledges makes them visible
to the rest (ie, after first IM-ing).

There are a LOT other hard problems with large events, but well lets
keep this simple for now.

--
Carlo Wood <carlo at alinoe.com>