[sldev] Why is framerate so much lower in my viewer builds?

Henri Beauchamp sldev at free.fr
Wed Oct 22 00:52:51 PDT 2008

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 09:40:18 +0200, Ambrosia wrote:

> The big lib that tends to get put in from the LL-releases that boosts
> performance is lldku.dll (and/or whatever the Linux version uses.
> lldku.so?). Just copy that one into your viewer's main folder and try
> again. We can only hope that one day libjpeg will be on par in speed.

Actually, to use Kakadu under linux, you need to copy both libkdu_v42R.so
and libllkdu.so. The former goes into the lib/ directory and the later in
the bin/ directory.

> Khyota wrote:
>>
>> Ive tested 6 linux builds already in a controlled setting same postion,
>> same graphics settings res(640x480) no changes in the sim, etc. After all
>> textures are loaded i check the framerate.
>>
>> Im on openSuSE 11.0 x86_64 AMD Athlon 64 3200 Geforce 8400gs
>>
>> I built the (standalone) realease tarball, trunk, and openal branch w/o
>> openal (no audio in any of those) and w openal for audio :) (no mozlib in
>> any) . I also grabed the official release and the build service build from
>> here which im going to call the marvin24, marvin 24 is the older 1.20.17 w
>> Scons, it does not use kdu either.
>>
>> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/marvin24/openSUSE_11.0
>>
>> The realease tarball, trunk, and openal w/o openal all acheived around
>> 31-34 fps. Openal w openal slowed down to about 28-30. extra cpu power for
>> audio?
>>
>> But amazingly both the offical release and the marvin24 build ran at
>> 48-50fps!
>> Are there any optimizations that i could be missing?

You can have a look at what optimizations I use for the Cool SL Viewer
by checking the make-SL and cmake-SL scripts I use to compile it:
http://sldev.free.fr/make-SL (for v1.20 and older viewers)
http://sldev.free.fr/cmake-SL (for v1.21 and later viewers).

Henri.