[sldev] Sim Size Limits?

Soft soft at lindenlab.com
Wed Oct 29 12:16:41 PDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 1:45 PM, Bruce Tong <tongb at ohio.edu> wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, why are sims always 256m x 256m in size? Is the
> system running into an issue like a maximum floating point value? Does
> it have to do with resources used to model the terrain? I wonder if
> "open space" might be a matter addressed by just letting people define
> private regions to be larger without getting more prims.
>
> Mind you, I still think the issue raging is more a matter of built up
> demand for inexpensive, small, private sims. That customer demand
> eventually translates into technical requirements, of course, that are
> different from providing "open space."

256 isn't a magic number. It's more an issue of the sims all being the
*same* size. If there could be more or fewer sims meeting up against
sim edges, there would need to be significant rearchitecting of the
viewer and simulator... not to mention existing scripts, as Ambrosia
points out.

We'll probably get away from that 256 meter limit eventually. But in
the near term, engineering time would be better spent making actions
happening across sim borders run more seamlessly.