[sldev] Sim Size Limits?

Tammy Nowotny TammyNowotny at mac.com
Wed Oct 29 12:39:24 PDT 2008

Bruce Tong wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, why are sims always 256m x 256m in size? Is the
> system running into an issue like a maximum floating point value? Does
> it have to do with resources used to model the terrain? I wonder if
> "open space" might be a matter addressed by just letting people define
> private regions to be larger without getting more prims.

I think it was just an arbitrary power of 2: 128 was too small and 512
was too big.  Hence, 256 was the logical choice.  (Hmm, maybe 128 wasn't
too small, since most SL residents still have their draw distance set to
less than 128 * sqrt (2): i.e., most of us can't see all the way across
a single sim.)

The new OpenSim regions have also been 256 by 256 but the size of the
region isn't hardwired into the data standards.  But (if I am not
mistaken) all regions on an OpenSim grid still have to be the same size.