[sldev] Sim Size Limits?

Aimee Walton aimee at ama-zing.co.uk
Wed Oct 29 16:09:14 PDT 2008

Possibly also I imagine due to limitations of what the physics engine
at the time could handle.

This is something I've been thinking about a bit recently, SL aviation
is pretty much stifled by playing Russian roulette on sim crossing and
256x256 is a bit tight to fly around in. In theory you could do a
larger one as a server side only modification, backwards compatible
with existing viewers, by making it pretend to be a 2x2 group of four
regions when talking to the client, faking the handoffs, but I'm no
expert on the protocol issues.

You could possibly get something close by making arrangements so that
a group of four regions are guaranteed to be running on the same
simulator, so region crossings still happen, but they should be as
smooth as possible. However then you have the management headache of
coarser granularity allocating regions to servers.

Aimee.