[sldev] Sim Size Limits?

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 05:10:56 PDT 2008

On 2008-10-29, at 13:45, Bruce Tong wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, why are sims always 256m x 256m in size? Is the
> system running into an issue like a maximum floating point value? Does
> it have to do with resources used to model the terrain? I wonder if
> "open space" might be a matter addressed by just letting people define
> private regions to be larger without getting more prims.

That would break so many scripts.

Back in the old suggestion system I called for an explicit mechanism
for scripts to ask the simulator size. This wouldn't allow for larger
sims soon, until it gets used in scripts that are currently looking
at <256,256,*> as the sim edge, but the absence of such a call
absolutely ensures that you can't make them larger. I think I have a
Jira out for this too, but Jira seems to be down right now so I can't
check.

This is such an obvious functionality that I'm still boggled it
wasn't in there at the start.