[sldev] Which is the current status of Voice in the Linux viewer?

Opensource Obscure open at autistici.org
Fri Sep 5 05:18:16 PDT 2008

Which is the current status of Voice in the Linux viewer?

Note: I'm not (yet) a big fan of voice, so my personal experience
with this feature is limited.

Personally, I'm on Ubuntu 8.04 - Voice here keeps disconnecting:
if I'm right this behaviour is known, and it could be
Pulseaudio's fault, but what I'm asking here is a general status
update, if this is possible.

Reading forums and PJIRA reports, it appears to me that Voice
isn't yet working out-of-the-box for most Linux users - I'd
even say that it never worked in a smooth way. Is this correct?
Or is this limited to Ubuntu/Pulseaudio users only?
May you suggest a Linux distro where right now SL Voice is just
working out-of-the-box?

I'm aware that some users managed to get Voice working, but it
looks like it always implies tedious workarounds that most
users won't get through.

Personally, I have fun in tinkering with things, and as I said
before I don't miss too much the Voice feature; but I need
to point other Linux users to a simple way to get Voice
working - this is the reason I'm asking an update about
this feature's status.

Here are some related PJIRA tickets.

1.19.1.1 TILL 1.20.8 Voice on Linux suddenly crashes
http://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-5745

Kicked off voice after exactly 30 seconds when using Linux
http://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-5718

(I don't know if this is related to)
Public Nightly: No audio in linux (still)
http://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-8782

PJIRA search for open tickets about Voice component with 'Linux' in the
Summary field, ordered by votes
http://bit.ly/2oWePD or
http://jira.secondlife.com/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&&pid=10003&query=linux&summary=true&component=10050&status=1&status=3&status=4&sorter/field=votes&sorter/order=DESC

Thanks,