[sldev] Which is the current status of Voice in the Linux viewer?

Ricky kf6kjg at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 17:18:10 PDT 2008

Took me a long time to find a configuration where I could both hear Voice
and SFX...  I am feeding the SL SFX through eSounD, and Voice through ALSA.

If I log in to a region, then I can hear everyone there, but if I TP, or
walk, into a region, then I cannot hear anyone in that region.  If someone
logs into/TPs into a region after I am logged onto that region, I cannot
hear them.  If someone I CAN hear teleports out and back, I can no longer
hear them.  The ONLY case that works is when I log into a region and listen
to those who are already there.

I have tried to "restart" Voice by going into the configuration panel and
causing it to disconnect and re-connect, but that doesn't fix the issue.
Only re-logging seems to help.  I have used the debug menu to up the Voice
debug logging level to 5, but I haven't had time to look at the log files
yet.

Another problem is that SL can't seem to find my mic... But neither can
Skype, and Audacity takes some special handling to find it, so it looks like
it might be my config. :P

I am running a 64bit dual-core Gentoo box with onboard nVidia MCP55 High
Definition Audio.

Info from the Sound section of KInfoCenter:
Sound Driver: 3.8.1a-980706 (ALSA v1.0.16rc2 emulation code)
Kernel: Linux 2.6.25-gentoo-r7 #1 SMP x86_64

Funny thing is, I had to do the same kind of changes, and seem to have the
same kind of problems (not tested well enough to be sure,) on my 32bit
Alienware 7700 laptop.  It's also running Gentoo.  It has the Intel ICH6
integrated sound hardware.

Ricky
Cron Stardust

PS: Sorry about the double post Open.  Gmail keeps catching me :D