[sldev] Question: Replacing current group chat with XMPP?

Teravus Ovares teravus at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 09:59:20 PDT 2008

A long long time ago, I created the following diagram of how XMPP could
work..
http://opensimulator.org/images/1/1c/Proposed_IM_Flow.jpg<http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Proposed_IM_Flow>

To sum it up..    an XMPP server with each region serving as an XMPP over
BOSH gateway..   with a few tricks to support the legacy protocol and 3D
space management using the 'resource'.

Mind you, one of the odd things is each simulator consumes and takes on
certain aspects of messaging that an XMPP client normally would...  like
keeping track of presence..   and in the current model, it has to start at
the login server..    and filter to all of the appropriate regions that
friends are in and get those regions the presence update..   and then those
regions are responsible for updating the users appropriately.

There are little nuances that make direct transition to XMPP more
challenging then just switching.

Best Regards

Teravus