[sldev] Question: Replacing current group chat with XMPP?

David M Chess chess at us.ibm.com
Mon Sep 8 08:12:54 PDT 2008

> From: Lawson English <lenglish5 at cox.net>

> My conception for the current group IM as it could be done in OGP, is
> simply to make the Agent Domain responsible for forwarding group
> messages to individual avies. The IM server tracks membership AND the
> associated Agent Domain and sends the Agent domain a message for each
> group with recipients attached (or the AD could request such a list).
> The AD is responsible for determining if a given recipient is online or
> not, and forwarding the message to the client or to email or just eating

> it. Responses to the group IM server are sent directly to the server or
> they could be collected and forwarded in some way.

Would you be willing to work on filling in the details of this and writing
down what messages it would require in OGP? And comparing it to the
strawman currently on the Wiki page?  (Which is similar but different.)
I'm worried by all those wasted messages from the IM server to an AD none
of whose group members is currently logged on, for instance, but it's hard
to do a detailed analysis without a detailed design...

> In any case, arbitrarily deciding to forgo the current SL group IM
> design is not really an option, as far as I am concerned. The SL
> community is set up aground the current chat behavior (missing messages
> and errors aside), and to suddenly change that would be more than a
> little disruptive. No need to limit ourselves to just the SL model, but
> to just chuck it out is a big no-no.

Definite agreement.  There are really two discussions here: how does OGP
support IM between grids, and how do we fix IM within SL (and the other
existing grids).  The questions are related, but different...

Dale Innis
DaleInnisEmail at gmail.com