[sldev] Question: Replacing current group chat with XMPP?

Steven Harrison steven.harrison at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 19:03:37 PDT 2008

2008/9/8 David M Chess <chess at us.ibm.com>:

>  what scales is actual pub/sub.

*waves to David*

I think that while pub/sub model does scale (I'm specifically thinking
of subscribers to an RSS feed, or something along the lines of
Twitter), is it a suitable architecture choice for group IM
conferencing? Wouldn't something more like IRC (as Dahlia mentions) be
more appropriate?  However, I think that pub/sub could easily be done
with HTTP and RSS, but adding in some kind of IRC-esque functionality
would take a lot more work,

2008/9/8 Argent Stonecutter <secret.argent at gmail.com>:

> What if the group owner had to explicitly create a chat channel, and you had
> to explicitly join it, once, after you joined the group?

Yes, and it could be done through the client preferences panel with a
couple of radio buttons like so:

O Join no group chats on login
O Join all group chats on login
O Join specific groups on login:
   O Group 1
   O Group 2
   O Group n

If you keep it on one tab in the preferences panel, you're not
flipping through one page on each group that you belong to turn the
group chat on or off.

--
Steven Harrison