[sldev] Question: Replacing current group chat with XMPP?

Edward Artaud edward.artaud at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 11:20:59 PDT 2008

Yes, that's why I why I addressed both in my previous email.  The
point is that single web servers (even with dynamic pages) routinely
serve well over 20 requests a second (which I think was your estimate
of # of requests for polling), and http already has ways to further
optimized with etags and such, and more importantly, can be
administered and scaled by a much less experienced ops team than a
pub/sub system, whereas your approach will require the Lab to recruit
very expensive MQ people out of IBM Global Services or Tibco to keep
it reliably running 24/7.  Most companies just don't have the
resources and expertise to run large scale pub/sub systems.