[sldev] Question: Replacing current group chat with XMPP?

Opensource Obscure open at autistici.org
Thu Sep 11 08:26:47 PDT 2008

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 08:36:29 -0500, Argent Stonecutter
<secret.argent at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2008-09-10, at 11:24, David M Chess wrote:
>> (And suggesting that SL residents just change their habits so that
>> they *aren't* listening for anything that anyone might say in an of
>> 25 group channels is a non-starter for me.  Seems like a perfectly
>> plausible way to use the system, it's the way that *I* want to use
>> the system, and I don't want to say that the users have to change
>> because we aren't smart enough to find a way to meet their
>> expectations.)
>
> I think the assumption that most people are in 25 groups is probably
> wrong. The only reason I'm in 25 groups is because I'm in land groups
> for vendors.

Maybe Lindens could point us to existing stats about that,
so that we can avoid to make assumptions?

Personally, I'd be in 50 groups at least, if I could,
and I'm not talking about land groups;
I joined many groups that were related to my interests, "just to
see what's going on" - or to receive updates about a project. I had
to leave most of them in order to stay within the 25 groups limit.

Actually, what I'm looking for when I join such a group
is probably more similar to a newsletter / RSS feed than to
a group conversation. That's often a one-way communication.

I don't think I'm a typical SL user, but it appears to me that
many other people are "passive" members in most of their groups.

Like the land groups mentioned by Argent, many (most?) groups
I'm in don't really have frequent, active chat. When people talk,
it's usually the group admin speaking: otherwise, it's usually
to go offtopic, or to spam.

So I think that my SL experience would be better if I could
join more groups, even if I couldn't actively participate
in the chat - that way, I could probably even cope with a lower number
of groups where I'm allowed to talk in the group chat.

Opensource Obscure