[sldev] Question: Replacing current group chat with XMPP?

Robin Cornelius robin.cornelius at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 09:06:57 PDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 4:26 PM, Opensource Obscure <open at autistici.org> wrote:

> I don't think I'm a typical SL user, but it appears to me that
> many other people are "passive" members in most of their groups.
>
> Like the land groups mentioned by Argent, many (most?) groups
> I'm in don't really have frequent, active chat. When people talk,
> it's usually the group admin speaking: otherwise, it's usually
> to go offtopic, or to spam.
>
> So I think that my SL experience would be better if I could
> join more groups, even if I couldn't actively participate
> in the chat - that way, I could probably even cope with a lower number
> of groups where I'm allowed to talk in the group chat.

Is there then a call to have a different type of group. One that does
not have chat associated with it. It does seem to be very common to
have "land groups" for basic management duties and the controlling of
prims in vendor areas etc. Many of these groups don't need group chat
and if these could be separate to the existing limited number of
groups that might even be progress. But i can see a whole world of
breakage there to implement that.

Robin