[sldev] Nvidia 3D Goggles?

Carsten Juttner carjay at gmx.net
Sat Sep 20 03:44:13 PDT 2008

David Parks wrote:
> The old method relied on depth buffer post-processing, so screen space
> effects were a no-no and there were always ugly artifacts around
> silhouettes.  It sounds like the new method actually runs through the
> command buffer twice, generating two entirely separate images.  Time
> will tell how well it interacts with multiple render targets and
> deferred rendering.  Since this is implemented in the driver, there's
> not much

Interesting, I always wondered about the "consumer" stereo. I had to
implement a stereoscopic renderer for my thesis (basically a request of
my professor) and put a quick hack into the Ogre3D engine so it would
support the quad buffer feature of the Quadro series. With this it's a
piece of cake, the driver even generates the necessary blue line to
drive an external shutter controller.

That approach of course cuts the frame rate in half since the renderer
was simply executed twice with 2 different projection matrices.

I mainly used Paul Bourkes pages for reference but he seems to have
rearranged them a bit so my old URL no longer works so one might need to
search a bit. His other pages are well worth a visit for any graphics
buff anyway.

http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke

Regards,
Carsten