[sldev] [SVC] Mono replaces LSL - Better Interoptibility?

Joshy Squashy sly_squash at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 28 01:37:32 PDT 2008

Hello,

I do some work that interfaces virtual objects in a second life environment with external systems (or even just custom SL viewers).  I typically interact with those objects through the fairly-crippled XML-RPC interface, where objects are "stunned" for several seconds after processing a single xml-rpc event, objects can't "call out" to external systems, and objects must communicate in short messages.  With the Mono update, I was hoping for the capacity to use mono frameworks (specifically Sockets) in the virtual object's mono code, but upon using the RC viewer I can't find any language differences or enhancements.

I think its fair to say this conversion to Mono is very much "under the hood"; however, as scripts run so much faster I was wondering what xml-rpc limitations still exist in Mono scripts.  If the answer is "all of them", I was wondering if there were plans to expand the xml-rpc interface or to use mono syntax/libraries.

~Squash Otoro