[sldev] SLDev Digest, Vol 28, Issue 2

Maggie Leber (sl: Maggie Darwin) maggie at matrisync.com
Wed Apr 1 11:19:20 PDT 2009

> From: "Philippe Bossut (Merov Linden)" <merov at lindenlab.com>
> Subject: Re: [sldev] SLDev Digest, Vol 28, Issue 1
> I haven't seen anything logged in PJIRA since we posted that http-
> texture branch containing the new map code that is related to breaking
> IW content. Would you mind describing what problem you see? (on which
> region, etc...). Logging an issue in PJIRA and posting here would be
> best. Thanks.

See http://www.subnova.com/news/?nid=2178

Subnova published an API providing UUIDs for the map textures when
nothing moved on

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-2178

The shoulder-shrug was:

http://forums.secondlife.com/showthread.php?t=303761&page=7&pp=15#post2312696

Any content that depends on Subnova serving a region texture UUID is
in serious trouble with the new map system. See the forum discussion
for some examples (Novatech,  Jer Straff's "Heavily Scripted
Industries" vehicle products, Quantum Core radar etc.).

I myself was about to build a moving-map navigation device for
vehicles that would have leveraged the llDetectedTouch API, but with
no in-world map textures anymore, that one goes in the toity. It might
make sense to pull the new textures out of the Amazon S3 cloud, but
with no real per-face HTML-on-a-prim yet (as opposed to the per-parcel
dealie we got somewhere about SLV 1.19), that's just a dream. We
currently can only address face textures with UUIDs, not URLs.

As for filing a JIRA...some PJIRAcop would just close "working as
designed", since there's no formal API promising in-world map tiles.
Just content that depends on a now-broken third-party server.

 Maggie Darwin