[sldev] VWR-10311 Enabling lip sync by default

Mike Monkowski monkowsk at watson.ibm.com
Wed Apr 29 08:55:11 PDT 2009

I wholeheartedly admit to being one of those "certain people."  I *do*
want to get this into the main viewer.  I have heard objections that
appear to be genuine, but do not understand their rationale.

The Linden Open Source Contribution project has been seriously hurt by
the difficulty in getting any contribution incorporated into the main
viewer, especially during this extended period of concentrating on
"viewer stability."  This "backdoor" appears to be the only door "open."
  Any requirement of unanimous approval is sure to close this one as well.

I'm also doing work with the morphs.  Tofu Linden added a comment to
that Jira issue, "I'm happy for people to keep working towards this, but
I wanted to give a status update - I can't picture this issue getting
looked at (even a little) internally for many months, given our current
priorities; this is pretty much way down the list."

With prospects like that, why would anyone work on an open source
project?  I think Philip realized this and created this "open source
viewer" project to keep external developers from getting discouraged and
abandoning SL for some project actually willing to accept contributions.

If the developers themselves make it hard to get contributions accepted,
then there's no reason to stay.

Mike