[sldev] [WEB][IDEA] Blog comments need "Ignore this user" feature

Opensource Obscure open at autistici.org
Thu Apr 30 03:43:46 PDT 2009

I just created http://jira.secondlife.com/browse/WEB-1074
that is - 'Blog comments need "Ignore this user" feature'

Please comment and vote it, if you agree this option
may be useful in some cases.
Here are some details about it.

A relevant number of people use / abuse the blog comments.
Some examples:
* slighlty offensive / provoking statements against other residents
* bashing Linden Lab's work
* going off-topic
* asking help instead of using Support
* complaining about bugs instead of using PJIRA

I want to be able to 'mute' (on my side) those blog users
that I think are consistently abusing the comments system,
and / or using it to flame and start unuseful arguments.

This is already working on the forum - I need a similar
feature on the blog.

As a non-english mother tongue reader, having to read many
comments makes the blogs reading very hard to me.

Every tool that helps me to avoid unuseful comments is good.
This can't be accomplished with technichal features, but -
I found on the SL forums that "Ignore this user" is a very
helpful feature. After I read 3-4 comments by the same user
and I find that all of them are stupid, offensive, or
simply 100% unuseful, I start "ignoring" that user.

This can be good or bad on a subjective/individual point
of view. But it's a good OPTION. I like to be ABLE TO do it.

I'd like if I could do the same on the blogs.

If I could hide comments by notorious trolls and whiners,
I'd have a much better blog experience. Otherwise, I will
probably have to stop reading blog comments.

Note that this is not about moderation. I'm not asking
for a more strict moderation about Linden Lab. I'm not
saying those users are infringing on any policy.

I just want to make my SL experience _more predictable_
(on blogs too).

;-)

Opensource Obscure