[sldev] Debug problem second life on kdevelop

Nyx nyx at lindenlab.com
Fri Aug 7 07:31:37 PDT 2009

When trying to debug on linux with an IDE, you need to be careful of a
few things.
1) the binary in the packaged folder is stripped of debugging info by
default. If you want to debug, be sure to copy secondlife-bin to the
packaged directory and run that.
2) secondlife on linux is generally run from a script which sets up a
number of environment issues before calling the binary. It appears
you're trying to debug the launcher script which lives in
newview/packaged, instead of the binary in newview/packaged/bin
3) If you want to skip over the launcher script, you need to make sure
your IDE sets up the environment in its place. At minimum you need to
add a few directories to LD_LIBRARY_PATH as shown below.

Set
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/.../viewer-linux-i686-relwithdebinfo/newview/packaged/lib:/home/.../indra/viewer-linux-i686-relwithdebinfo/newview/packaged/app_settings/mozilla-runtime-linux-i686:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}

I personally use slickedit for my IDE, so I don't know the details on
where in the UI you'll have to change these settings, but this should
help you get started. Let us know if you run into any more roadblocks!

 -Nyx